Skip to main content

Into the Dojo: Vindictus in Exemplar Interdiction

Whose ready for some Big Vinny D?!?

Vindictus is among my favorite casters in the Protectorate, I adore his style but he has needed just a wee bit more love I think to get to quite where I wanted him. With the recent reveal of our Exemplar Interdiction theme force, though, I think Vindictus is as good a home for a troop-oriented version of it as you get. So, I opened up War Room and threw down some ideas. In the end, I came up with this:

Vice Scrutator Vindictus
-Redeemer
-Redeemer
-Dervish
Knights Exemplar w/CA
Knights Exemplar w/CA
Exemplar Errants w/CA
Exemplar Vengers
High Exemplar Gravus
min Choir of Menoth
Vassal of Menoth
Vassal of Menoth
Wrack
Wrack

The free models are, of course, the three CAs for the units. Essentially this is just shock and awe; the Errants give a bit in the way of options, having some guns to pew pew at some infantry a bit. They take Defenders Ward early to be pretty resistant to a lot of regular infantry clearing (14/18 is solid, not the easiest to hit, POW 10 attacks unlikely to kill, POW 12s have to hit the DEF 14 and still roll a 7 on damage.) With Advance Deploy and the additional 2" deployment from the theme, they're up in your face extremely quickly and will buy time for the rest of the army to get there.

The rest of the army is fairly self explanatory, but has a lot of room to shift. The Vengers are just good, can't go too wrong with it when you're adding in True Path to give them absurd threat ranges. The Knights make up the true armor crack, and will be delivered with the feat, true path, and additional deployment at remarkable speed. With minifeat and Battle Driven active, Knights Exemplar kill basically anything they get to.

One change I considered, though, was removing the CAs from the two units of Knights. I think for their points the unit is great either way, and loses a bit of punch and some attacks against infantry by losing the CA, but in exchange I would get a pair of Knight Exemplar Seneschals, which gives a little bit more options in the way of activations, and hit like a truck in their own right. The feat and their own abilities will help deliver them, and would make the list, I think, a tiny bit more flexible at the loss of some hitting power.

Gravus is another piece that could be a few different things. I don't hate the idea of him just straight up being a third unit of Knights Exemplar, but Gravus gives a nasty piece with extreme threat who can buy and boost attacks, since the list has plenty of souls for him. I could go either way on that decision. Dude is also tough as nails with Defenders Ward.

The support is straight forward, I don't get a Hierophant in theme which is a bit painful for Vinny, so the Vassals and Wracks pull some focus load off of him. The Choir are pretty clear, boosting up the 'jacks.

The battlegroup was an interesting set of decisions. Could easily run a pair of Templar or something but... the battlegroup of this army is going to be hanging back for a long time. Vindictus has no accuracy helper for his 'jacks so relying on MAT 6 'jacks to do damage kind of bugs me... in the end I came down to going the reverse route and making the battlegroup into an infantry clearing option. The Redeemers can contribute at range pretty effectively, clearing out infantry and keeping me from having to use my highly valuable weapons masters to kill basic infantry any more than I have to. In the absence of much enemy infantry, they're hunting support, and Redeemers do that pretty well. The Dervish was largely because that's how many points I had left, but I like him as a bit of a finisher as well as being alright at clearing a little infantry in a pinch. He's just efficient and doesn't need a lot of help from the caster to do a bit of work. And then... well, Protectorate lights can just hit pretty hard when Choir is around. Cheap PS 15 boostable melee weapons don't suck!

What do you all think? Would you run Vindictus in theme? If you did, how would you build it? What are your thoughts on the battlegroup, and the choice of free models in the list? I'm excited to try this or something like it out in the near future!

Comments

  1. I like it. I'd seen something similar posted that didn't have the focus support but this should work better I think. I could see the Seneschals potentially being better than the CAs but I've loved the CAs almost every time I've run them. Adds a lot to the unit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only change I would make is to drop the Errant CA, and take the Errant Seneshal instead. They lose assault, but gain unyielding. Pair that with Defenders Ward and you have your errants at Def 14 Arm 20, just waiting for their Exemplar brothers to come clear them off (or a stray rocket from a redeemer).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Through the Fire and the Flame!

Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to Truth & Consequence! My name is Chandler. Some may remember me from Hand Cannon Online's retired podcast Crusader's Call, as well as Ghost Dice's ongoing podcast The Leyline for Circle players. We may have also met at a convention, spoken on facebook, or any number of other ways, as I spend a lot of time talking to Warmachine communities across the internet. I've played Protectorate since just prior to the announcement of Mk. 3, before which I was a Circle player. Unfortunately the Mk. 3 transition caused me to eventually leave Circle behind and really fall into the loving embrace of Menoth, where I've seriously enjoyed my time. I've made reasonably regular appearances at a few conventions over the past couple of years, and brought the Protectorate to the Las Vegas Open Masters tournament at the start of 2017, where I was promptly obliterated by Tom Guan but hey, getting there is something to be proud of. So, why are we her

CID Update: Vessel of Judgement, Week 3

Quick and dirty post, we've got the most recent changes in Community Integrated Development to the Vessel of Judgement. "-Add Scrutator to this model’s sub name. - Gains Reload [1] Reload [1] - This model can suffer d3 damage points to make up to one additional ranged attacks with this weapon during its Combat Action. - Reduce RNG of Divine Wrath to 12. - Replace Cleansing Aura with Bonds of Faith Bonds of Faith - This model can use this miracle once per turn at any time during its activation. Remove d3 damage points from other friendly Faction models in this model’s command range. Additionally, when this miracle is used, enemy upkeep spells and animi on models/units in this model’s command range immediately expire. A spellcaster can keep any of its upkeep spells in play by suffering d3 damage points per spell." The only changes we see here are: The inclusion of the Scrutator sub-name, which makes the Vessel an option in the Exemplar Interdiction theme force. Th

Warcaster Overview: Grand Scrutator Severius

It's time to talk about a Warcaster. In fact, it's time to talk about my *favorite* warcaster. Grand Scrutator Severius, or Severius1, is a big part of what caused me to fall in love with Protectorate as a faction in the first place. My favorite part of playing any faction is digging through its refuse and finding the gems hidden throughout, and no caster allows you to do that in Protectorate quite like the original Severius himself. There is very little in this faction you can take that isn't going to shine... even if a bit dully... when the Grand Scrutator is at the helm. There are exceptions (here's looking at you Deliverers...), and there are definitely sub optimal choices (Cinerators do fine, but... for now, take something else), but overall if you just want to play a model you like and give it the absolute best chance to succeed, there's a good chance you can reach for this guy to make it happen. The Pope of Nope himself, saying "NOPE!" So wh